Starter or something else?

Ben Missele ben_missele@yahoo.com
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 16:23:25 -0600

 I know this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find
anything useful in the archives.

 My car doesn't want to start when it's warm. It will start up
the first time, but if I drive around, park, and then try to
start it, it won't start. Also, if I try to start it multiple
times in a row (like when setting the timing), it tends to start
slower each time. When the car won't start, all of the
accessories still work. When I have the clutch in and turn the
key to the start position, I hear the a relay click, but then
nothing happens. The car doesn't even turn over.

 I checked the battery voltage, and it looks good at about
11.75V. The alternator is putting out about 13V. That seemed low
to me, but I have underdrive pulleys, so I chalked it up to
that. I measured the voltage on the battery cables and it is the
same as at the battery. I took the battery into Sears (where I
bought it), and they tested the battery and said the battery was
good.

 At this point, I'm thinking it may be the starter, but I wanted
to get other people's opinions before I just blindly replace the
starter because I heard it is somewhat of a pain. Although, I
did replace the front cover with the engine in the car, so I
think the starter would probably be a piece of cake compared to
that!:) Any suggestions of other things to check would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
 Ben
 '93 NX

=====
#7 Illinois Basketball 12-2 (1-0 Big Ten)
Go Illini!