Cams

Storm88000@aol.com Storm88000@aol.com
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 13:23:59 -0600

Frank wrote:

< Thinking to pick either the JWT S3 or S4 Cam. Anyone got a suggestion as to
 which of the two is more suited. According to the graphs, the S# comes on
 around 4500RPM whereby the S4 although makes more HP comes on closer to
 5500RPM. Will the S3 be better since I have an automatic? Don't want to lose
too much bottom end.Also anybody got any street experience with either? >

You bet. I've had both S3 and S4 cams on modified SR20's so I can give you my
opinion.

I had a '91 SE-R w/ the S3 cams, HS g3 Header, PR CAI, and a custom 2.25"
Exhaust, sold September 2000.

Now I have a '98 SE w/ the S4 cams, HS Header, HS CAI, custom 2.25" exhaust,
UR 2-pulley set, and a G20 ECU (nothing different except a 7500rpm rev limit
like the classics)

Which pulls harder? Well, honestly, it's a toss up. Past 7000 rpms though my
98 *DEFINATELY* feels stronger. But below that I would say the '91 might be a
little stronger, at least till about 5000rpms. The only true difference
besides the cams is that I have UR pulleys on my 98, and I didn't feel much
of a power increase with them anyways.

Either way, I think you'll be happy with the S3 or S4 cams. Keep in mind the
S4 idle *is* a bit choppier than the S3's. Especially if you have ES or JWT
mounts, stuff will rattle at stoplights and when you're in the drive-thru
waiting to feed your face with Burger King.

Jordan
'98 SE