Phantom Grip info

Rob Cadle robcadle@hotmail.com
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 20:28:29 -0600

"geo3@earthlink.net" <geo3@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Now that you mention Neons, I'm 98% sure that was the application they were
>talking about on the 944 list.  Ok, this makes sense now.

Yes, SOP on a Neon diff R&R is that you need to TIG weld the spider gear
retaining pin in place.  The pin is held in with a shear pin that tends to
shear off and then the retaining pin falls out, the spider gear comes off,
and things go downhill from there.  This usually happens during burnouts.

I can see that someone put in the PG, didn't take the opportunity to TIG
weld the diff pin in, went out to test the PG's effectiveness by doing a big
burnout, broke the shear pin, droped the retaining pin, destroyed the diff,
and concluded it must be the PG, because that was the most recent thing
changed.

Rob