Phantom Grip info

mike kojima choaderboy2@yahoo.com
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 11:26:54 -0600

I got them to work on the project several months ago
as an alternative for the guys with 98 200SX's and
98-99 Sentra SE's with no LSD.

Also we all know that the VLSD on our cars gets smoked
fairly rapidly if you drive on a track or autocross
freqently, so I wanted to have the Phantom Grip as an
assist device for the VLSD.

Jaime Farrer was used to stress test the part.
Basicaly it works by puting a controled bind on the
spider gears using harded steel blocks and calibrated
springs. The Quaife and Torsen FWD diffs also use bind
to control the slip so it is not as mickey mouse as it
sounds.  Many Honda and Neon Autocrossers and IT
racers use these units with sucess.

It is not as positive as a gear type or clutch type
LSD but it is more transparent and is better than
nothing.

As far as them breaking 944 diffs, they don't make a
944 application so I am not sure what the Porshe guys
are talking about.

The device is so simplistic and solid that I can't see
it causing a big failure.

Mike