speedvision world challenge

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 09:42:20 -0600

Lee Koloszyc <nx2kracer@hotmail.com> wrote:

>To make 225 NA horsepower out of a 11.5:1 SE-R would take
>more then $5000

For a crate motor you are 100% correct.  I should have pointed that out.  I
think someone building their own could do it for $5k with careful
subcontracting of the machine work.  Virtually all of the expense would be in
the head work and dyno testing.

>(It is $5000 for an ITS engine that doesn't get cams, higher
>compression or anything), probably 10-15k at least

The added compression wouldn't really add a whole lot to the cost of the
engine.  You cannot play with the combustion chamber and the pistons must be
cast.  It could be done with 300ZX pistons I think (just under 0.040" over).
I do think playing with dome shape would yield better results, but I have no
idea exactly how.  The 300ZX pistons would yield 11:1 and the extra half point
can be had by shaving the head.

>and you would probably want 2 of them!

Boy howdy. :-)

>A $3k suspension probably isn't good enough, probably
>looking almost $2k a corner to be competative at least, so probably another
>$10-12k for a suspension.

Yep.  A Koni 8611 suspension would run about $1,500, but the next step up
would be the 2817s at $1,500 per corner.  Like I said, who knows what the
Penskes would cost.  As for the rest of the suspension, that could be done
in-house for someone with access to a mill and lathe.  Otherwise, it would be
expensive.

But yeah, I agree with you (and you said prety close to the same things except
for crate motor vs DIY.

George Roffe
ITS 944 money toilet

http://mail2web.com/ .