speedvision world challenge

Alex C. Chang mav1178@earthlink.net
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 04:29:46 -0600

The *ONLY* reason why Roger Foo won at Laguna Seca was because qualifying
was completely screwed up.  The best lap times put in were in the first 5
minutes of qualifying, as a car crashed heavily at the Andretti Hairpin and
caused the session to be red flagged for quite some time.  The major cars
(Real Time Racing and the BMWs) all had planned to qualify later in the
session, and some of them only got one or two laps in to qualify.  To have
David Leslie qualify at pole with an inferior Mazda and Roger Foo line up
2nd on the grid was quite shocking to me when I saw it there.

The race turned out to be a battle of "Who can hold off the person behind
them the longest".  Roger Foo won simply because the cars chasing him didn't
have enough time to catch up.  Ken Dobson in his BMW went from ~15th place
up to 2nd! in about 8 laps worth, only to see the checkered flag towards the
end.

And Roger *SHOULD* have the driver's advantage over the field...  He
considers Laguna his home track!

-alex