More alternator fun

Mark Holden mark@vectorworld.com
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 17:11:08 -0600

I finally got my car home to my own garage last night.
Of course I was exhausted and only managed to slap on
the charger before falling asleep.

Today however, I tested the voltage with the car
running, both at the battery and at the alternator
(to elminate the potential for bad wiring).

12.4v both places.  All connections at the battery
and alternator clean and solid. The alternator,
which was new (rebuilt) on Saturday was dead on
Sunday.  Argh.

So that elminates the mystery.  Just a crappy
rebuilt Autolite alternator that bailed immediately.

Still doesn't solve my problem though.  Good thing
I had an extra dead alternator to use for the core
so that now I'll have something to put in there to
support the belt when I return the Autolite.

Just how badly is the repeated deep cycling and
recharging of my (also new) battery going to
affect it?  Will I need to replace it to prevent
damage to the next alternator?

-Mark Holden
'93 alternator-killing classic.

Sent via VectorWorld.Com Webmail Interface