Exhaust noise

Maurice Hilarius maurice@harddata.com
Tue, 01 Jan 2002 18:48:31 -0700

With regards to your message:
>From: "J. Manes" <jjmanes@hotmail.com>
>To: se-r@lists.deskmedia.com
>Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 17:00:21 -0600

>Attention all Wisconsin Vehicle Owners:

>347.39(2)
>(2) No muffler or exhaust system on any vehicle mentioned in sub. (1) shall
>be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device nor shall there be
>installed in the exhaust system of any such vehicle any device to ignite
>exhaust gases so as to produce flame within or without the exhaust system.
>No person shall modify the exhaust system of any such motor vehicle in a
>manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such
>vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the
>vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of
>this section.

>This is what I got a warning for.

OK, so get an exhaust system with a removable muffler that complies with
the requirement for not being louder than stock.
Then, when running it on a track, take off the removable part.
I assume you would not run a loud exhaust system on the street, right?
I am also assuming that the exhaust on your system must be darned loud, or
this cop would not have bothered to write up the citation..
Either that or you pissed him off some other way, and he is looking at a
way to get you!

Point is, there ARE reasons for these kinds of laws, mainly to keep what
people run in the suburbs at 3:00 a.m. at a reasonable level..

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice@harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada      http://www.harddata.com/
    T5X 1Y3