HOLY POOP IM CONFUSED!!

Jim Wright wrightj@apple.com
Tue, 01 Jan 2002 00:06:18 -0600

On 12/31/01 10:18 PM, "Jimmy Pop" <jimmypop182@hotmail.com> wrote:

> i can either spend it on stereo, intake, header, wheels, or somthin else. i
> really want a stereo but i am dying for performance!! my car shouldnt be
> restricted!!!

Well, this is your cash, it's going to have to be up to you on how you spend
it.  I'm not an old fart like George (LOL) and still like my tunes.  If you
handle your own install, you should be able to get some nice sound installed
for not a whole lot of green, watch your local ads, talk with your local
stereo folks, etc.  Speakers are a definite must have, the factory ones are
crap, and replacing them will make the factory stereo sound so much nicer,
and you can always upgrade that later when you have more $$.

> im wanting to go autocrossing really bad, ever since i went to my first meet
> about 4-5 years ago its been like my life goal!

Will this be a one time event, or are you planning on doing this regularly?
If so, you'll want wheels and tires, so start planning a tire budget now.
I've heard of more than one person here that trashed a set of street tires
in a single weekend, though this usually involves a rental car and a
national convention, but I digress.  ;)

> i hate the possibility of being all flash no smash!

Well, you never said which SR20 you had, or if anything had been done to it.
Best bet would be to start with a good tune up, depending on mileage, adjust
timing, clean the throttle body, EGR valve, adjust the throttle cable, etc,
etc.  Lots of maintenance procedures online, just look them over,  get your
car running in top form, it performs pretty well out of the box.

Inake wil be your best bang for the buck starting out, don't worry about the
exhaust unless some fool already replaced it with some aftermarket garbage.
Header would be your 2nd choice for performance after the intake.

That'll pretty much use up the cash you've got, after that things get pricey
(ECU, cams, etc), but you'll be off to a decent start at least.  ;)