help: random misfire

Benjamin Moses bmoses@purdue.edu
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 22:01:11 -0500

Check my website when you get a chance to see the difference between
aftermarket or 3rd party plug wires and OEM wires on a dyno.  These
pieces of shit I had were Borg/Warner from Autozone or something like
that.  They produced some jagged lines.  When I replaced them with stock
the problem vanished

http://expert.cc.purdue.edu/~bmoses/nismo/dyno/dyno1.htm

<<I don't know as I can help or even give good hints, but I'd guess if
you're
getting such poor mileage, your ECU is getting readings from somewhere
that
it thinks are bad, *or* it just isn't getting readings from someplace it
expects.  Just a WAG.

>I have 8.5mm Magnacore Wires (3 years old), will a bad wires cause
>this?  Anyone using other brands wires that's good on SR20DE?

Bad wires might.  Stick with OEM.  When researching my article for SCC,
talked with Clark at JWT about plug wires.  There is a specific issue
with
most aftermarket plug wires it seems.  Many seem to arc within the plug
wells.  This isn't something that happens all the time with aftermarket,
but it doesn't seem to happen at all with OEM.  He related a story where
someone drove from Phoenix to try to correct a problem.  After checking
lot of things over, in frustration they threw some ratty old OEM wires
from
a core engine and the guy's problems instantly went away - and he had
*brand new* performance wires.

You make the call.  And try some OEM wires when you get a chance.>>