Intake question

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 06:31:04 -0600

russ dye wrote:

>I spoke with my uncle who said that putting the cai filter behind the bumper
>would not give that much more hp than just having it in the engine
>compartment and was not worth the trouble.  Is this true?

Only partially.  The temperature of the air entering the filter will not be
significantly different at speed (verified through data acquisition)
whether behind the bumper cover or under the hood.  However, the CAI makes
its power through resonance tuning due to the additional length.

As long as you are making your own, you might want to make it in such a way
that you can play with the length and then take it to a dyno.  Luis Molina
was able to find a few extra hp by doing this.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20  (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>