Got my cheap turbo in HK!

Andy Fong afn01853@afn.org
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 10:22:23 -0500 (EST)

Finally, I went to the junk yard today. Here is some picture of the
turbo I got:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/svfong/lst?.dir=/turbo&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/svfong/lst%3f.dir=/turbo%26.src=ph%26.view=t

Anyone know what it is? I seems to be a bit bigger than the T25 I saw on
the web. They siad it's a Skyline GTS turbo (although it has a GTR marking
on the turbo) and it will fit a silvia. Anyone know how good is this
turbo?

I paid $130 (hk$1000) for it. It came with four cylinder manifold too
(Skyline GTS turbo should be a 6 cylinder engine, right?) but it's too
heavy and bulky, I asked them to take it off. Since it's in the rural
area, I have to carry it to the bus station and then the MTR station. I
need to make a custom manifold anyway.

As Geo said, I might spend good money on junk, but for $130, it's not
too bad. I pick this one because it seems to come with every thing.

But when I get home and look at it and did some more research on the web,
I found that the compressor and the turbine are on the opposite side
(different from the T25 or T28). It also has a little radial freeplay.
There is no crack or axial freeplay. I will spend a few hundred buck
to rebuild it if I can get it to fit.

On the compressor, it only has " 3       Nissan Motor" on it. I saw
some smaller ones with " Garret AR 42" on it. Those might be T25 or T28?

It also has a build-in waste gate I believe. It has two rubber hoses. One
connected to the control valve (?) and one to the compressor. Anyone know
how it works? The connector on the control valve is blended a bit, I don't
know if it still works. Anyway to test it without hooking it up to the
car?

I won't put it on my car anytime soon. I expect this project to take
several years. If I can't get it to fit, I might just sell it to someone
with a RWD DET as a cheap upgrade or just take it apart and put it on my
garage floor as display.  Now, I know where to look for this stuff, I can
get another one the next time I go back to HK.

If anyone planning a trip to Hong Kong, I can give you the exact
direction.

Andy Fong.
P10