offset of b15 wheels sort of URGENT

Maurice Hilarius maurice@harddata.com
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 12:17:16 -0700

>Subject: Re: offset of b15 wheels sort of URGENT
>From: Jon Pennington <cowboydren@yahoo.com>
>Date: 23 Dec 2001 00:14:59 -0600

>Can we explore this just a little bit?  The Spec-V has 17x7" rims,
>doesn't it?  *assuming* that they had a -45mm offset, which is pretty
>far inboard (50mm ~= 2"), and they don't rub, I'm just *sure* that -35mm
>would be find, since it would only bring your rims 10mm closer to the
>outer fender.

WRONG!
The stupid manual claims they are 7" wheels.
If you measure them they most certainly are NOT 7"
They are about 8.25" wide, inside the lock bead. I know, I measured them.

>On the other hand, section width of the tire itself has as much or more
>to do with rub than anything else.  Some "205mm" tread tires actually
>have wider section widths than some "225mm" tread tires from the same
>manufacturer.  You didn't mention how wide the tread was, but I'm
>assuming it's less than 225mm.  Still, I have no idea how wide the
>section is on the Spec-V's Continental tires. :(

The 215 Pirellis I bout have about a perfectly flush offset. The tire does
not stick out past the rim.
I don't know about the Contis, I took them off before I could measure them.
What also varies quite a bit is the aspect ratio.
While  both my Pirellis and my old Contis claimed a "45" ratio", the
Pirellis are actually a good 1/2" lower on each side of the wheel than the
Contis. The net result was to lower the car nearly 1".

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice@harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada      http://www.harddata.com/
    T5X 1Y3