B13 Pads on B14 (was Re: NX2000 rear brake pads)

Raymond A. Kawski sr20de@epix.net
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 15:26:09 -0500

Lawrence Weeks wrote:

> That's right, they are the same calipers and pads.

This reminds me of something I found out.  The rear pads on the B14
are slightly bigger, 1/16" or so.  No-one has been able to find me
rear metal master pads for the B14.

I had heard you could use B13's on a B14.  So I ordered a set.  Only
problem was that when ever you put your foot on the break that
1/16" allowed the pad to travel causing a "clicking" sound to
be heard.  The pad moving around in the caliper.

I thought it was because I had tossed the shims at the track the
one time.  So I bought new shims.  Didn't solve the problem because
it wasn't the shims fault it was the pads were to small.

So I took my handy dremel and trimmed up an old shim and put 2 shims
on the bottom of the caliper.  No more clicking!

Also if you order a new shim kit and you put the dust shields that
go in the caliper you need to bend a slight curve into them otherwise
they rub the rotors.  We found that out on Armando's car the
hard way.  I put the new shims on my car and the same thing
happend.  So before I put the wheel back on I tested it and
it was rubbing.  Pulled it off and bent it a little.  And now
its fine.

RK