problems with clutch install

Thomas Reynolds treynolds@gonetrix.com
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 17:55:05 -0500

Aaron wrote:
> Turns out all I needed was to remove the adjustment lock nut for the extra
> quarter inch of adjustment and cut off half an inch or so of the ends of
the
> thread.

Yep. I also had to cut a half inch off and remove the lock nut. For those of
you wondering how the ACT HD pressure plate with street disc feels like,
it's GREAT. To be quite honest I can't tell any difference in effort over
stock and it seems to chatter much less. I have the stock clutch cable with
50k+ still and it is silk smooth.

I think a big tip to ensure smooth engagement when you do your clutch job,
is to undo the throwout arm spring, slide the throwout arm up to expose the
portion that resides just below the top seal and clean that off with brake
parts cleaner. Do this as well as clean out the bottom hole where the
throwout arm rest in the bellhousing. Then lube both up with some lithium
grease. This should take care of that gritty feel that some people complain
about, to which I have yet to experience.

Thomas
'97 200SX SE-R
F-Max Stage II Turbo
Albany, GA